With its revised exterior and restyled interior layout, the 2022 Jeep® Compass (MP) has been on a high streak in 2022 with an increase in sales in the North American market. At mid-year sales, the revised Compass saw 36% growth in the US and 27% in Canada compared to the same time in 2021.
But even with sleek new looks, one thing has been a constant disappointment since the current model’s launch in 2017: the 2.4-liter four-cylinder Tigershark engine. As our contributing editor, Jared Balfour, recently explained in his review of the 2022 Compass Trailhawk, the Tigershark “just doesn’t have the power or refinement to compete in today’s market.”
But that’s about to change in 2023, as Jeep will give the Compass the powertrain it truly deserves. Thanks to an updated 2023 fleet guide from FCA US, LLC, the 2023 model will get the turbocharged 2.0-liter (GME-T4) inline-four engine. The GME-T4 is from the Stellantis Global Medium Engine family and features Double Overhead Cams (DOHC), Direct Injection (DI) and Engine Stop/Start (ESS) technology.
The new engine should put the Compass on par with its new C-UV corporate siblings, the all-new Alfa Romeo Tonale and Dodge Hornet, as both of these models will launch with the same engine. Although horsepower ratings haven’t been released yet, the Tonale is rated at 256 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque, while the more performance-driven Hornet will get at least 265 horsepower but the same torque.
Both the Tonale and Hornet come standard with all-wheel drive (AWD) for 2023, and the Compass won’t differ from the popular C-segment as it will ditch all of its front-wheel drive (FWD) offerings in favor of standard all-wheel drive (4× 4).
But the biggest shocker we’ve learned from Fleet Guide is that, unlike the Tonale or Hornet, the Compass will get a new 8-speed automatic transmission. Both the Tonale and Hornet have a ZF-based 9-speed automatic built by Stellantis, but unless the fleet guide has multiple misprints, the Compass will carry an 8-speed.
All 2023 Jeep Compass models will include the following equipment…
- 4×4 drive system for all models
- 2.0L I-4 DOHC direct injection (DI) turbo engine.
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- 17-inch, 18-inch or 19-inch wheels
- LED reflector headlights on all models
- Uconnect® 5 with 10.1-inch touchscreen (GPS navigation – available)
- SiriusXM GuardianTM services including 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot, SOS button and one-year trial
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Hands-free telephone and audio
- High mounted center console with increased storage space
- Two 4×4 systems: Jeep Active Drive and Jeep Active Drive Low with Hill Descent Control
- Selec-Terrain® Traction Management System with up to five modes
- Air-bags – Seven including full-length side and driver’s knee braces
- Active Lane Management System
- Blind-spot Monitoring (BSM) and rear cross-traffic detection system
- Discovered by drowsy driver
- Collision warning at full speed forward with active braking
- ParkView® rear backup camera
- Detection of pedestrians/cyclists with emergency braking
Optional equipment includes…
- TomTom® Connected Traffic and Travel Services (available)
- Panoramic sunroof with dual windows (available)
- LED projector headlights, fog lights and taillights (available)
- Hands-free Power Liftgate with foot-activated Open ‘N Go (available)
- Wireless charging pad (available)
- 10.25-inch, all-digital, full-color driver information display (available)
- Heated front seats (available)
- Ventilated front seats (available)
- Universal Garage Door Opener (Available)
- Premium Alpine® Speaker System (available)
- 360° Surround-View camera system (available)
- Highway Assist System (available)
- Parallel/Perpendicular Park/Parking Assist System (available)
- ParkSense® Park Assist system front/rear (available)
- Traffic Sign Recognition (available)
The 2023 Jeep Compass will be available in five models, which include Sport, Latitude, Latitude LUX, Trailhawk and Limited.
Customers will also be able to choose from 7 different exterior colors, including Diamond Black, Granit Crystal, Sting-Gray, Billet Silver, Laser Blue, Redline and Bright White.
While we’re not sure when Jeep will announce its new 2023 Compass, Donlen’s fleet management confirms that the 2023 Jeep Compass will begin production at the Toluca Assembly Plant in Mexico on Monday, November 14, 2022. Ordering is expected to start in October.